Although the method has been around for centuries, very few people today know how to make their own beauty creams or lotions. The most common explanation we hear is, oil and water don’t mix. In reality, they do mix. Through a process known as emulsification, water-based liquids are blended with oils to produce silky smooth creams. Read this article to know about natural beauty products.
By varying the ingredients, you can produce a custom beauty cream designed just for your face or body; the basic process will remain the same. You can make a creamy nourishing overnight cream or a lightweight silky under-makeup moisturizer. You can add special herbal oils and ingredients to fight acne or to increase your skins collagen production. Be sure to sign up for our RSS feed so you don’t miss all the formulas well be adding regularly.
Follow the basic cream-making process, and when you’re comfortable with it, you can begin to vary the measurements and ingredients to develop your own natural beauty creams.
Recipe for Making Basic Beauty Cream From Natural Beauty Products
What Youll Need
- 1-Cup base oil (we recommend almond, jojoba, grape seed, avocado, and coconut)
- 1/4-cup herbal oil (optional, but recommended)
- 2-oz. emulsifier (we recommend beeswax, carnauba wax, lecithin)
- 1-tsp. Borax (if you’re using beeswax)
- 1-cup Water-Based Liquid (purified water, aloe, herbal tea, glycerin)
- Essential Oils (your choice)
- Melt oils and waxes in the top of a double boiler. If you’re using beeswax, grate it first for quicker melting. Stir occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine the water-base liquid and the borax. Stir well and set aside.
- Remove the oils from the heat and set aside for 15 minutes to allow the oils to cool slightly.
- Add up to 30 drops of your favorite essential oil(s).
- Pour the barely warm oils into the blender and turn the blender on low speed.
- Begin pouring the water-based liquid into the center of the blender in a slow, thin stream. As you pour, the mixture will begin to thicken.
- Continue blending until the mixture is thick and rich, which may be very quickly, or up to 5 minutes, depending upon the temperature.
- Fill small jars with the new cream and store in a dark cool place.
You can use herbal oils for all of the oil if you like. Depending upon the type of herbal oil you use, you can make a beauty cream to soothe dry skin, calm irritation, or to treat a specific skin condition. Please subscribe to our RSS feed so you won’t miss any of our beauty care formulas.
Reduce beeswax to 1 oz. for a thinner lotion.
Don’t shy away from borax, just because you associate it with a cleaning booster. Borax, sodium borate, is an alkaline mineral that counters high acid levels in the skin. If you’re not getting adequate fluids, your perspiration is concentrated and may be high in acid. Borax solutions gently counter the acid and protect your skin cells.
Glycerin is a humectant and it draws moisture from the air, delivering it to your skin